Home

Thursday, January 17, 2008

A photo shoot I don't want to do

Let me rephrase that, a photo shoot I never hope to have to do.

That's right, there is a shoot I don't want to do, you heard me correctly. I was recently asked to become a photographer for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. It's a non profit organization where photographers photograph families and babies when the baby won't make it. Sometimes they are still born, sometimes their on life support and about to be taken off. And recently they added terminally ill children up to the age of 18.

When the woman saw that I was from Jacksonville she said that they really needed more photographers from this area. How could I say no to that? I'm always looking for a good cause to support, and while I've never had a child, nor know what it is like to lose one, I felt that I should do it.

I'm a little nervous about doing it and have a feeling that I'll probably come home and cry my eyes out after each one, but my pain would be nothing compared to what the family is dealing with.
So, I am now a volunteer photographer with Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.

The woman who founded it is named Sandy Puc and she is a well known photographer in the US. She does amazing work. I went to a photography seminar last night where they had a presentation and interview with her about her non profit. There wasn't a dry eye in the house--and we are talking about 200 photographers!

She is doing a seminar next month on babies and maternity photos, I'm hoping to go. Would love to meet her in person.

0 comments: