Home

Monday, March 17, 2008

Ode to Ireland

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I dug through photos I took a year and a half ago from my trip to Ireland.

Like most American's, who I am is a melting pot of cultures and backgrounds. My grandmother's grandmother, who was alive when I was born, came to America from Ireland. Back in those days Irish people were looked upon very badly, they were coming over here taking jobs, etc. She married a Cherokee Indian (which was also a horrible thing at that time).

The two had quite an interesting life. My mother says that they did the land run in Oklahoma to stake out a home. I've always been intrigued by my roots. I'm a little irrational in the fact that I also don't mind going into debt if it means getting a chance to see a bit of the world. Everyone likes to say, "I'll go next year." But "next year" comes and goes and for some that "next year" never comes.

In September 2006, I took the trip of a lifetime with my twin sisters and their friend to Ireland before meeting the rest of my friends in London to travel Europe.


These are a couple of my favorite photos from Ireland.
This was my view from my hostel/hotel room in Dublin.
The first castle we went to was Dugaire Castle, but this scene was across the street and struck me. If you look closely in the background you'll see a stone ruin, likely from the time of the potato famine.
This is called "Ladies View" and I want to say it overlooked Killarney.
Riverdance regularly comes to Jacksonville and I never get the chance to go. But while we were in Killarney, Riverdance was performing and I couldn't say no. We got awesome priced tickets, awesome seats and we could bring our cameras!
This is the most western tip of Europe in Ireland. BEAUTIFUL, and very windy.

This was in a little town called Annachul. We stayed the night in this little tiny town (our hostel/hotel had an attached bar, of course) and the Irish teenagers talked American culture, doing Napolean Dynamite impressions with their Irish brogues.
This is also in Annaschul. There were over a dozen pubs on the one main street of town. If you wanted to eat, you had to eat pub food. Other than that there was one little grocery. See the sign "Guiness is good for you." There used to be a time when Guiness was served at hospitals in Ireland after women had babies.
This is part of Blarney Castle. There are dungeons underneath that have NO power. They say many tourists get lost under the castle and start screaming for help because it's a maze. We found an opening to get in, but you literally had to crawl on your hands and knees. We had to use a lighter and a camera flash to see. It was quite spooky.
Roses on Cahir Castle.
Clonmacnouse is probably better known for their celtic crosses and tower, but these ruins next door struck me.


If you like my photos, feel free to check out my store to see prints and shirts from Ireland and all over Europe.

0 comments: