Home

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

You may say I'm a dreamer...

(This print and many others of mine can be purchased at my sister store.)

Tommorow is the 7 year anniversary of Sept. 11th.

In 2001, I was working for a couple of newspapers and magazines and was also doing some substitute teaching. I was teaching middle school that fatal day and I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it. Luckily, we had a TV in the classroom and I got to find out what exactly was going on. The principal told everyone to turn off the TVs, but I just couldn't.

I must of cried for a week. It's not that I knew anyone who perished, I just felt so horrible for the people in those towers and the families who were obviously looking on in horror, wondering where their family members were. As a daughter to a police officer and a sister to a fireman I also thought about the police and fire who ran into the towers in the face of danger to help others. Whenever I see my father and I have to leave, especially as a kid, it was hard not to cry. Even with people with normal every day jobs-who's to say that you'll have another day with them. But some people really put their life on the line, every day!


Exactly 2 1/2 years after Sept. 11, I happened to be in NYC for the first time. One of my bestfriends and myself managed to find our way to one of the other trade centers that was still standing and went out on to the observation desk. We each walked our seperate ways, taking photos and thinking.

Two years ago, on the anniversary of Sept. 11, I was flying from Dublin to London. London, which had also had it's own recent terrorist attacks. I don't fly too often, but this coincidence of dates seemed odd to me.

I'm both sad at the memories of Sept. 11
I don't know where my photos are from that original trip. But a scan through 2006 stop in NYC, left me thinking about the above picture. I originally didn't think about the two in correlation, but I have always loved John Lennon's song "Imagine."

Sometimes you just wonder what all the killing and hatred is for. People focus too much on differences and breed so much hate. I wish people would learn to tolerate each other, for their skin color, their sex, and their religion.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

0 comments: