Home

Monday, December 29, 2008

A New Year is upon us...

I've been reading, thinking and reflecting. This has been an awesome year. I moved, the studio moved, started new hobbies, etc.

I think I did about 30 weddings this year and tons of portrait sessions. I've been good about investing in new equipment, etc. and making sure I, as an employee, get paid. But I do think that it's time I get health insurance. Hubby is a contract worker, his job provides really crappy insurance at a high premium and me being self employed, well insurance is up to me.

I'm one of the cheapest photographers in town, I get told that all the time. And yet I'm one of the only ones with a degree and a full time studio. I'm going to have to revamp my prices this coming week. There are some things I won't really touch. I probably won't mess with portrait sessions in general, but I do need to revamp wedding prices. Albums take up a lot of time.

I work full time as a writer and photographer and am scared to death to get sick. I guess this is the turning point most self employed people come to, charging what you are worth and making a decent living so you aren't forced to live paycheck to paycheck.

Photography is one of those hard service oriented businesses where everyone tries to get you to work for free. Mostly because everyone knows someone with a camera. Truth is owning a decent camera and knowing how to use it (in manual mode) are two seperate things! I hate when people ask me to shoot them for free. That drives me crazy. I wouldn't call a plumber and say "come fix my leak for free, I'll tell my friends how great you are!" He, like any other business person has to make a living and put a roof over his head. I wish people would respect that.

I didn't just buy a camera and decide to become a photographer. I studied in college and got a job in the field before going out on my own. I still do work for newspapers and magazines every month.

My new year's resolutions? Hmmm..
Take more time to photograph personal, fun projects. Maybe more of the sky. I do love the clouds as the sun sets.
Sew more.
Create more (etsy, cafepress, etc.)
Take a cooking class.
Take some more photography classes (can never stop learning!)
Work on my book! (Only been working on it for years!)
Write more.
Write more to do lists.
Get health insurance.

And in other news, with the new year I have started revamping my website. It's been bugging me for awhile and I think I finally found something I like. I designed it myself, so it took me a little bit to figure out what I wanted, but here it is: http://www.freelance4hire.com Let me know what you think.

And after that rant, let me just say...
I love my clients and so many of you people are awesome and refer everyone you know. I know that and I appreciate that. Thank you so much for all your referrals and for your business as well. Hope to see you in the new year! You guys are fantastic!

1 comments:

Andi Pandi said...

I like the new site layout! I noticed that some of the pictures on the Artistic page aren't working.